Wiki/Apache Issues

Michael Sammartano volinaz at cox.net
Sat Aug 16 08:28:46 MST 2008

Not exactly sure of the problem 100%, however, redirecting DNS to 8080 is bad. Most routers are set to remote management on 88 or 8080. I would however redirect DNS to say port 70 or 81 on the public side, then have the router direct traffic to the local box on either the same port or 80 for that ip address if allowable. If this is on a simple home router, commodity grade then only one computer may use port 80. If this is on a network with say a cisco, juniper HP procurve router, then each physical port may use port 80 for multiple boxes.
Most DNS servers have the redirect or "web forward" function readily available. The only configuration left would be on the router side. You may have to reset the server to listen on port 81 if 80 is being used on another box or ip. Keep the port numbers low, do not direct into the higer port areas. This may prove to be a security issue in the future.
Hope this helps.
Michael Sammartano

--
Please visit