GCC C/C++ application to run on Windows

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Aug 15 12:53:38 MST 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, keith smith wrote:

> I'm thinking of writing a small application that can run on
> both Linux and Windows written in GCC C/C++ that will
> utilize MySql running on Linux .

sounds like the 'trading shim, about which I presented at PLUG
a while back
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/

> Initially I need the application to run on Windows XP or
> Vista and connect to the Linux box to access MySql.

* nod *

> Is it possible to write an application using GCC that will
> run both on Linux and Windows?  If so what should I be
> looking into?

sure -- use Cygwin, for the Windows side, and your favorite
Linux distribution.  For extra credit, do it on OS/X as well.
We also build the doco under TeX, and emit pdf's at the end of
the process.

We have scripts which build:
    Debian testing	shim-debian.sh
    CentOS 4 and 5	shim-builder.sh
    OS/X			shim-OSX.sh
    Windows		shim-Win.sh
all from a common tarball, at:
 	ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/local/COLUG/

We talk through getting the shim going on Windows (until
blocked by immaturity in the Windows C++ environment [not
likely to be encountered, but we have sepcial needs), in the
mailing list archive at:
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/pipermail/ts-general/2008-May/thread.html

> Is there a better approach?

None of which I am aware.