linux drivers: Nvidia vs ATI

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Aug 12 14:10:39 MST 2008

From: "Josh Coffman" <josh at computeristsolutions.com>
> I need to buy a new laptop and I'm going to dual boot it.  Which has
> better linux drivers: ATI or NVidia?
> I assume both support compiz-fusion with recent cards, right?

About 6 months ago, trying to use ATi's evil binary modules with
compiz-fusion resulted in EPIC FAIL.  The open ATi modules worked
fine, though.  The quality of nVidia's evil binary modules is
IME quite good, in general better than ATi's AFAICT.

> top 3 laptop vendors to choose from:
> HP, Dell, Lenovo

Lenovo, unless their new not-quite-IBM machines are pieces of
cheap crap.  The old Thinkpads were well-built.  I have not had
the chance to play with their newer machines for a long period
of time, though, so I don't know how they stack up.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows