Depressing IT Job Prospects

Josh Coffman josh at computeristsolutions.com
Mon Aug 11 07:44:40 MST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:59 AM, <storkus at storkus.com> wrote:

> That's a good point, Tony, but one of those articles quoted directly
> from the Dept. of Labor (the one with the stats), so it's not just the
> usual media love of blowing things out of proportion.  I completely
> agree with you on the Valley, though--when I went back home to Reno a
> couple of weeks ago, I discovered the economic downturn has hit much
> harder there than it has here, so we're very lucky down here, IT or not.
>
> Mike

My personal experience and what I see on job boards indicates that demand
for programmers remains strong.  Now I'm more focused on windows development
because that's what I do, but I also watch non-windows ads because I'd like
to get away from windows eventually.

Lately I've seen job postings for MySQL admins, which is something I haven't
seen in a while or maybe not ever.  Usually, its for a PHP dev or Linux
admin position.  I'm inclined to think that demand is strong enough to
warrant a dedicated MySQL position.

I watch both local job boards and some for areas like L.A.  Also, I should
note that I'm pay attention to senior level positions because that fits me
better.  Although, I also look at mid-level postings for non-windows gigs.

good luck
-j