Kopete or Pidgin?

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sat Aug 9 13:18:35 MST 2008

They are both very good IM clients with more features than any
reasonable person could use.  They also have a remarkably similar
feature set.

I've used both pretty extensively but keep coming back to Kopete.  Why?
  Because for my purposes, each has one advantage over the other:

o Pidgin handles jabber MUC (conference) rooms much better than Kopete.
  You cannot 'invite' anybody to a MUC in Kopete, for instance

o Kopete can handle PGP/GPG encrypted messages.  Pidgin cannot

It's the GPG point that seals the deal for me.  I use GPG via IM
extensively and am not going to go without it.  Yes, I could OTR
(supported by Pidgin) but that seems a bit too clunky.

Other than that... it's sort of a tossup.