OT (sorta): (["via"] acm TechNews) v6 Perl to be "truly extensible"

Mike Schwartz schwartz at acm.org
Mon Aug 4 17:39:22 MST 2008

In "Perl Vision Gets Sharper"
   (see http://technews.acm.org/archives.cfm?fo=2008-08-aug/aug-04-2008.html#372505)
it says, in part, that "Larry Wall proclaimed [...] that version 6 of
Perl will constitute the world's first truly extensible programming
language [...]"
OK, I haven't read the whole "Click Here to View Full Article" (at
"http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/46724-1.html") so maybe I missed
something;  but it sounds kinda hypey.
     I think in Lisp you can "cons" together some code at run-time and
then invoke it - that seems pretty 'extensible', in one sense;  and,
ever since yacc [0] was invented, (that is, prehistoric by some time
scales - like, e.g., "off the chart" of the wayback machine
"archive.org") someone could - "in principle" - design their own
language to be / do whatever seemed cool.  What more could the Perl 6
folks have in mind?  Maybe making the "extending" way more convenient?
[0] http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?yacc+1
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ