Wine and serial programming

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 07:04:33 MST 2008

I don't have 'doze! And am not a serious linux guru. What my question is is the recent wine or just straight linux distro able to take a preloaded WINDOWS file in C-language (link to follow) and shove it down a serial port to 're-program' a atmel avr butterfly device? The orginal and again no way am I interested in programming or learning it program was written for w98 se to xp.

I want to 'copy' which is given freely by Steve on his website, and shove it into the butterfly device. It is ham related. Don't seem to be anyone that cares enough to try it that I know that has 98se-xp. the atmel 'programmer file', the one that will load it is windows exclusive as far as I can tell.. that is what wine would have to run perfect to get the program transfered to the chip/device.

Links for anyone that might try to. Sounds simple in doze but would be nice just to get it loaded. Willing to learn the 'linux' way, but not if I have to decode his program or such. In other words, I know myself. I wouldn't be alive if forced to be a programmer!! or such!! I like computing, but not bashing my head against the wall! I don't like what most of you consider the challenge.

http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/page4.html

Above has all the 'details' but his 'clickable' atmel site goes to the 'home page'. IF the following link doesn't work, do a 'search' on butterfly from atmel's home page.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/general/advanced_search_results.asp?device=1&tools=1&faqs=1&datasheets=1&appNotes=1&userGuides=1&software=1&press=1&articles=1&flyers=1&checkAll=1&checkAllReference=1&target=butterfly

The 'only' learning, and I have pclinuxos recently upped, is how to get that programming onto the butterfly from Steve's site. That I would like to learn if not a convoluted mess or 'rewriting' the atmel 70 mb of code into linux instead of windows that does the control to move Steve's free programs over. Thinking of the rfpower meter one first as I don't have a true low power power meter. Then after I can afford another shipment a DDS controller.

Ed/ke7feg  ....Hurry up November...enough heat so far!!

Did I mention, 2/23/07 the FCC dropped all cw (AKA Morse code) testing for any class of license as a ham? Just pass the written exams.