drive recovery

Kevin Faulkner kondor6c at cox.net
Wed Apr 30 14:18:32 MST 2008

> >  >  >
> >  >  > does anyone happen to have a spare electronics package laying around
> >  >  What do you mean by electronics package?? I hope your not just planning on
> >  >  swapping the PCB (Printed Circuit Board or Primary Controller Board, it varies).
> >  >  If you swap with the wrong one you could be worse off. When swapping those out
> >  >  you need to be very precise with Western Digitals you need to be aware of the
> >  >  Site Code as well as the top number/letter combo, i think with yours it might be
> >  >  something like: AMR <number here> or AMK I don't remember something like that
> >  >  though. I know what its like to loose data, keep us informed.
> >
> ok,
> here the numbers I do have:
>
> S/N: WCANU1419620
> WWN: 50014EE2AAB5FB6D
> MDL: WD500ks-00MNB0
> DCM: HCACAJAAB
>
> does any of this help?
Really your on your own unless you have a buddy that has something very similar
to your board. I would start looking at Ebay for those specs. At the place I
used to work at we kept thousands of drives even if the head were bad, because
then you could swipe the PCB from it.:w If you look around there are specific
companies that cater to this situation and they have warehouses full of drives
and they charge (easily) $400 for say an 80 gig drive.
But keep in mind your not 100% sure that it really is the PCB, it could be that
the heads are failing (which is probably more likely). What I think is happening
is that when you power it on your heads are failing and its trying to initialize
but it can't so it keeps on trying. Finally the BIOS just says "whatever man,
I'm moving on" and the drive doesn't show up. Head swaps are hard to do. take
the PCB off and visually inspect it, looking for any burn marks also smell too.
good luck
-kevin