Xorg slow down rquires a kill

Kevin Faulkner kondor6c at cox.net
Wed Apr 23 15:12:04 MST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:10:46AM +0000, Michael Havens wrote:
> I've noticed that after about 2-3 weeks of not shutting off my computer that
> things grind to a halt and that I need to kill Xorg.  Is there anything I can
> do or is it just my old k6 processor and I'll have to live with it?
This is a pretty broad question.
How much swap are you using? Are you maxed out on memory? Is it really a K6?
show what "free" has to say. Prior to restarting X use top to find out what the
whole picutre is because maybe its something else (perhaps kde? or a gnome app
gone wild?). KDE is a pretty big girl and I think currently (3.5) requires more
than your computer will give. I see you're using kmail 1.8, then again it may be
on a different computer.