dsl/cable-cable

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:05:23 MST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:

>  Nobody cares about that.  The typical home user downloads quite a bit more
>  than they upload, so download speed is most relevant.  Also, most cable and
>  many DSL providers have terms in their TOS that say, "You can't run servers
>  of type X, Y, and Z..." which makes upload even less relevant.

There are a lot of people who care about upload, and a majority of the
time they go with DSL for a constant upload speed.  With Cox cable,
the upload speed is usually about 100-150k.  If a provider has a
"anti-server" policy, that hardly effects relevancy.
DSL speeds are whatever you are assigned through the DSL DSLAM at
installation.  I haven't used DSL since 2001 through QWest.  I've had
1.5mb down/650k upload (ADSL), and it's just what the name says.

>  There are people who don't have FlashBlock installed?  I guess it'd depend on
>  how many users you have at once, but 67K down is usable (barely) with one
>  user.  It just takes a long time to download junk from YouTube, so I don't do
>  that too often.

It's your connection, everyone else is able to pull down 200kps
through a normal connection.  67k is not rare, and YouTube isn't
slow...

--
Thanks,
Dan Lund