dsl/cable-cable

storkus at storkus.com storkus at storkus.com
Tue Apr 22 04:20:12 MST 2008

I can't ignore this anymore, my curiosity is killing me: all of these
speeds
you refer to, AFAIK, is download.  But who is the UPLOAD speed champ?
Or do any of these companies care about that?

And while we're at it, what kinds of upload speeds are you all getting
with
cable vs dsl?

Here at my motel, we have a T-1 coming in from Echelon (formerly ATG
back
in Reno, don't know about down here).  Part of it is used for voice
trunking
to our old fashioned PBX and most of the rest of the channels are used
for
internet.  The result is that we get about 500k usable up and down which
is
nice for being synchronous (for gaming, say) but sucks ass when people
start
doing even normal web surfing because everything is so media-heavy.
I've
thought about adding an ADSL line to increase the down speed and then
using our firewall for semi-intelligent load balancing, but I don't
think the
boss will go for it.

Oh, and we don't have cable coming in here, we use DirecTV for that, so
cable internet isn't an option, AFAIK. (That is, no plant coming in
either.)

The point of the above is just thinking how far we've come (good or bad)
when
just 2 people trying to use the same slow WAN connection at once can
lead to
major problems.  And yet some still use dial-up!

Mike