Some External HDD Questions

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 22:12:51 MST 2007

I recently bought an external HDD that hates my computer (won't work at all
inside the computer, but plays nice from the enclosure). I want to know a
couple of things:

1.) Is the USB spec fast enough to run any games or other applications from
it?
2.) Can anyone help me set up a UDEV rule so that this device gets a
symbolic link in /dev as /dev/media-external or something? I can't get it to
consistently have the same letter short of plugging it in in a certain
order, so I'd like to have a more dynamic solution. Right now I have
/usr/media (directory I chose to mount the thing in--it holds non-OS related
media, like HDD images, videos, music, games, etc) existing as a symbolic
link to /media/media-external, and KDE's media manager working some kind of
hoodoo-voodoo KDE magic to automount it there (KDE can only automount things
in /media). So, again: can anyone help me set up a udev rule for that
device? I did one for my iPod as according to the Gentoo wiki, but that was
basically a cut and paste job (that rule included information like vendor,
etc., which was obvious for the iPod, but not as obvious for this hard
drive. I don't know where the Gentoo people pulled it from).

Thanks in advance!

--Patrick C.

--
Amarok: Rediscover your music.