OT: Request for speaker

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Sep 27 09:08:38 MST 2007

Vaughn Treude wrote:
>Austin,
>Thanks, I really appreciate your kind offer.  To be honest, I'm not
>really sure I understand virtualization myself, and most of the audience
>will not be Linux people.  Would it be possible to add a bit of an
>introduction for beginners?  Is there a way we could briefly encapsulate
>what virtualization is and what its benefits are?

Virtualization is a way to make one physical computer appear to be 2 (or more)
virtual computers.  The presentation that Austin has available describes an
approach that's useful for servers.  One big machine that appears to be 10
smaller machines has obvious appeal to people who are selling web hosting or
other kinds of hosting.  The approach that Austin has is not really intended
for desktops/graphical apps, though.

If that doesn't appeal, I could probably put together something about LVM2 and
demonstrate how to expand and move filesystems from disk to disk without
causing any of the processes that are actively using files on those
filesystems to barf.  And then go over the technical aspects of how they do
that.  I don't have anything prepped and would have to write it from scratch,
though.

--
   Sturgeon's Law:  90% of everything is crud.
   MG's Extension:  The other 10% is included in "everything," and it's