Mac OS/X and Linux

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Wed Sep 26 09:43:22 MST 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Matt Graham wrote:

> After a long battle with technology, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>
> > On Sep 26, 2007, at 7:48 AM, Mike Garfias wrote:
>
> > > I've been using AFP instead of NFS.
>
> > AFP/Netatalk is also a good choice but it doesn't come with most
>
> > distros AFAICT.
>

> It doesn't? How weird. It's available in Debian and Gentoo, and
> reasonably easy to set up. However, I wouldn't use it with machines
> that are capable of doing SMB or NFS, mostly because the tools
> available for diagnosing problems are practically nonexistent on
> the Linux side.

Well it's been longer than I want to admit to  myself since I did
this and I was working with Red Hat but I really was easier to set up
Samba.

NFS has a little problem too. The connection won't  survive a reboot.
IIf your users turn off their computers at night you will have to
show them  how to use the Go menu to  mount the NFS share every
morning. Alternatively, you can muck about with NetInfo and get the
macs to auto-mount the NFS share but that can be a PITA as well if
you  have lots of clients.

--
Seven Deadly Sins? I thought it was a to-do list!