asterisk: forward disconnect and Cox

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Wed Sep 26 09:19:36 MST 2007

Yes, you can have Asterisk handle faxes/etc and even use that second
line for outbound dialing when you don't have incoming faxes.  Trixbox
uses asterfax which captures faxes well and sends them to email.

Adminsparadise uses hylafax and works both directions; pretty slick
setup.  It uses 'iaxmodem' to simulate a real modem and does a great
job.  You can use a real modem if you want to but since Asterisk is very
touchy with IRQ's (don't share IRQ's with asterisk hardware!) I prefer
the software modem to the hardware one just so I can turn off the serial
and parallel ports in the bios.  Fax over voip is iffy. I did it for
awhile and it worked sometimes; lots of issues with smearing and dropped
calls.

As far as ip to pstn adaptors.. there are many to choose from for less
that $100.  Most are sip based and as long as you're inside of your
network those work fine.  Outside your local network natting can make
getting it to work a challenge (one way audio, calls that dial and
disconnect/etc).  The Iax (asterisk's native protocol) based ones will
work through firewalls/etc as long as it can talk to the UDP port 4569.
If you go with a TDM400 card or the equivalent from Sangoma/Rhino then
just get an FXS module  (gives dialtone) and 2 FXO modules (receives
dialtone) for your inbound lines.  Also you could buy a few voip phones
and plug them in wherever you need a phone.  If you set up your port
forwarding right you can even plug them in anywhere with a good internet
connection and use your PBX as if you're in your home office.

VOIP.. keep in mind that it is only as good as your bandwidth.  ISP's
love to do things to cram more users into the same bandwidth.... traffic
shaping, compression, lopsided bandwidth (heavy download, light upload),
etc that can affect your ability to make calls.  Unfortunately speed
alone isn't good enough; latency can really wreak havok on voip calls.
I can sneakernet 10G an hour to the other side of the valley; it
wouldn't be a good conversation though (grin).
There are tools online to get an idea of how good your connection is:
http://www.dslreports.com/tools
Run the speed tests from several servers, the line quality test, and the
voip bandwidth tester.
Keep in mind that if you're on a connection that varies such as cable
that your results may vary.

If you get rid of your second line then you'll need a good voip provider
to make more than one call at a time (inbound/outbound).
These are the ones I recommend currently: voipstreet.com, les.net,
vitelity.net, junction networks (junctionnetworks.com), and teliax.
I've heard nothing but good things about voicepulse but haven't used
them.  Junction networks and teliax are a bit pricey but they're reliable.
I recommend signing up with more than one for those occasions where they
flake out or temporarily outgrow their hardware/bandwidth.  Stay away
from Broadvoice and nufone.

Asterisk has a bit of a learning curve.. if you don't mind it you'll
love Asterisk.  If you're already adept with Linux (especially Centos)
then you're 1/2 way there.  In many ways Asterisk is like Linux was in
the mid-90's.  It is accelerating quickly and becoming more robust every
day.  Project such as FreePBX make it MUCH easier to manage.

JD

JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
email: jd at twingeckos.com