moving HDD & new HDD

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Sep 24 16:31:44 MST 2007

After a long battle with technology, betty wrote:
> I just moved my linux (RH9) HDD from my old computer and VOILA! it worked
> right away.

Redhat 9's been EOLed for years.  It's time to upgrade to something that's not
EOLed and is easier to maintain.

> Now i am going to have still a different computer with a blank drive in
> it for my office, i would like to have RH (because i am used to it) and
> still have something new like suse 10.2. Can i just make a partition for
> each one and install them in their own little places?

Yes, mostly.  Every distro needs its own / , /usr , and /var .  /home can be
shared as long as /etc/passwd is the same on both distros.  swap and /boot
can be shared.  Just make sure that your second distro's automagic installer
doesn't mkfs /boot, or you'll lose the bootloader config and kernel image the
first distro set up.  SuSE and Redhat shouldn't use the same filesystem
labels for their partitions, but check first before mkfs'ing.  You really
don't want 2 filesystems with the same label if your distro does
mount-by-label instead of mount-by-device-node.

--
      One RAID to rule them all, One RAID to bind them
      One RAID to hold the files and in the darkness grind them