need advice/help

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 22:22:43 MST 2007

On 9/23/07, Josh Coffman <joshcoffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having serious problems with my desktop. It starts with we need to
> use ms office 2007. So, I figured I would make it dual boot windows so
> it would be easier on my wife.
>
> when I boot the machine with any bootable disc, the keytboard doesn't
> work at the critical time when you have to press a key to boot the cd.
>
> I've already wiped the drive so I can't just boot up my old linux
> install. I'm going to put ubuntu on it right now, which fortunately
> auto-boots in 30 secs if you don't press a key (because eve at the
> ubuntu boot selection screen I cant use the keybord).
>
> Details.. I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse, which did work when I
> originally installed XP on this machine last summer. (I built the
> machine) Last night, I did get the keyboard to work during that time,
> and somehow partly installed XP, but it fails part way install the
> graphical install phase. I think because the cd is scratched. I dunno.
>
> I'm pretty stressed out as I'm just trying to help out the family; I
> already wasn't happy about having to put windows back on.
>
> Any tips on a usb keyboard working, then not working, then working again?

There is a fair chance the usb keyboard is not recognized because the BIOS
is set to NOT do USB emulation.  Watch when you boot the machine for a msg
in one corner of the screen which saays something like Press Fookey to enter
Setup.  Press that key immediately to get into BIOS.  f you do not see
such\h a message, try rotating through F1, F2, and DEL keys.

Another possibility is if you are using a PS2 based KVM switch with an
adapter on your USB keyboard plug.  If  the KVM is not getting power to the
keyboard you may need to add power to the KVM switch as I did (assuming
yours has a way to do so) to my iogear KVM..

Very Many Thanks,
> -j

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
  - George F. Will