need advice/help

Josh Coffman joshcoffman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 22:04:49 MST 2007

I'm having serious problems with my desktop. It starts with we need to
use ms office 2007. So, I figured I would make it dual boot windows so
it would be easier on my wife.

when I boot the machine with any bootable disc, the keytboard doesn't
work at the critical time when you have to press a key to boot the cd.

I've already wiped the drive so I can't just boot up my old linux
install. I'm going to put ubuntu on it right now, which fortunately
auto-boots in 30 secs if you don't press a key (because eve at the
ubuntu boot selection screen I cant use the keybord).

Details.. I'm using a USB keyboard and mouse, which did work when I
originally installed XP on this machine last summer. (I built the
machine) Last night, I did get the keyboard to work during that time,
and somehow partly installed XP, but it fails part way install the
graphical install phase. I think because the cd is scratched. I dunno.

I'm pretty stressed out as I'm just trying to help out the family; I
already wasn't happy about having to put windows back on.

Any tips on a usb keyboard working, then not working, then working again?

Very Many Thanks,
-j