CentOS and LVM partitions

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Sep 21 16:02:06 MST 2007

Am 21. Sep, 2007 schwätzte Craig White so:

> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 15:49 -0700, der.hans wrote:

>> I'm doing some strange things such that I want a multi-boot system where
>> everything but swap is distinct. I'm also doing 32bit vs. 64bit, so I want
>> to keep the two separate.
> ----
> suit yourself - bear in mind that Red Hat really really likes to use
> 'File system labels' for mounting (as you noted in /etc/fstab) and
> therefore, when you manually partition, make sure you use sensible label
> names so Red Hat can keep track.

The installer is still adding and using labels. I'm also moving everything
over to labels anyway. How do you read and assign labels to LVM
partitions?

> the concept of using labels instead of devices comes from the notion
> that bios alterations, SAN systems, etc. will present drives to the
> system in varying ways but a label never changes.

Yeah, I like them :).

ciao,

der.hans
#  History is nothing but a collection of fables and useless trifles,
#  cluttered up with a mass of unnecessary figures and proper names.
#  -- Leo Tolstoy