CentOS and LVM partitions

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Sep 21 15:54:35 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 15:49 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 21. Sep, 2007 schwtzte Craig White so:
>
> > All Red Hat based installers for quite some time (3 or 4 years IIRC)
> > will default to using LVM for everything but the /boot partition. If you
> > want to go without LVM, you can choose to manually configure partitions
> > in the anaconda installer (and not do LVM) if that makes you feel
> > better.
>
> I'm manually partitioning in order to avoid waiting a week for the
> filesystem to be created. I'll add a big /home partition after the fact.
> Well, actually, I'll expand /home after the fact :).
>
> > I don't recall ever creating another /boot partition nor ever having a
> > reason to do so. What I am I missing from your question?
>
> I'm doing some strange things such that I want a multi-boot system where
> everything but swap is distinct. I'm also doing 32bit vs. 64bit, so I want
> to keep the two separate.
----
suit yourself - bear in mind that Red Hat really really likes to use
'File system labels' for mounting (as you noted in /etc/fstab) and
therefore, when you manually partition, make sure you use sensible label
names so Red Hat can keep track.

the concept of using labels instead of devices comes from the notion
that bios alterations, SAN systems, etc. will present drives to the
system in varying ways but a label never changes.

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>