CentOS install prob

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 20 21:10:54 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 19:50 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> I'm trying to install CentOS 5.0 on a 3ware driver that doesn't have
> support in the install kernel.
>
> 3ware provided a driver that insmods just fine and I can see the RAID
> device.
>
> I can then do an install, but upon reboot the kernel panics.
>
> ###
> Trying to resume from LABEL=SWAP-sda5
> Unable to access resume device (LABEL=SWAP-sda5)
> Creating root device.
> Mounting root filesystem.
> mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
> ###
>
> I was able to boot the rescue image, load the 3ware module and open up the
> initrd being used for the boots. The initrd has the 3ware module as well
> as the scsi_mod driver and ext3 driver. It looks like everything is there.
>
> I can also see in the boot that the 3ware driver gets loaded and the 3ware
> device gets recognized.
>
> I've tried both 64 bit and 32 bit installs.
>
> Any ideas as to what module is missing? Is it something else?
----
might want to show us
/etc/fstab
/etc/modprobe.conf

I would make certain that the proper 3ware module is listed
in /etc/modprobe.conf BEFORE you 'mkinitrd' again.

I am not knowledgeable about 3ware cards but have definitely done
similar making older megaraid cards work on CentOS-4

The basic process is to boot rescue disk, insmod the module, mount the
disk, chroot to the root of the 3ware drives, verify /etc/modprobe.conf
is correct and then cd to /boot, mkinitrd
initrd-2.6.20-xxxEL-whatever.img.copy 2.6.20-xxxEL-whatever then move
the new initrd.img file over the old one.

There are LOTS of people who work with 3ware cards on CentOS mail
list...