Need to outsource programming or hire full-time

Carlos Macedo Gomes powerofprimes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 02:02:23 MST 2007

It's not trivial to become an expert witness since it generally means
you've got a long, established history in the profession including
advanced degrees, publishing in journals, and experience as a witness
in court (catch-22 in many cases).  You can make very good money as an
expert witness but it depends on who has the larger budget (usually
the defense) and the nature of the case.  I would wager that the
average expert witness can probably bill as an indepent consultant at
higher rates than he/she can get as an expert witness in court.

Expert witnesses are generally challended during voir dire:
http://www.forensicmag.com/articles.asp?pid=132

The judge has the final say on who qualifies as expert witness so
generally the larger the court the harder it is to be accepted (or
alternately the easier to be challenged).  Folks may remember in "My
Cousin Vinny" when Mona Lisa Vito (played by Marissa Tomeii) was voir
dire'd by the prosecution prior to being allowed as an expert witness.

ymmv,
C.G.. CISSP, CISM, GCFA