Number of wireless clients per WRT54GL?

David Munson david.munson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 11:35:06 MST 2007

Michael said:
> no more than roughly 16-20 otherwise you risk overloading available bandwidth.

This is pretty dead-on. With a typical data rate of 19-20Mbps (after
accounting for interference, range, and the alignment of the planets),
you'd probably want to limit it to around 20 or so, since beyond that
it tends to be a guessing game. If they're transferring files or need
it to be dependable, this is probably what you should start with, and
then you can add more from there to see what the environment will
allow.

I think that the number of users you could put on a single wireless
router would depend almost entirely on the signal strength/data rate
in the environment where the router is located, and the load being put
on the router.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, I'm studying for the
Network+ exam, and I've no idea how much various PLUG members know
about wireless networking. :)