web connection with firefox in ubuntu 7.10

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Oct 29 11:31:55 MST 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:01:55AM -0700, Cary Mabe wrote:
> Hi pluggers!  I just updated from Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10, and am having a
> problem getting firefox to connect to the internet.  I have tested and
> see that my computer can still send pings, and it can still update the
> listing for the apt-get and the graphical update system, so the
> problem resides somewhere in firefox.  Anybody have any ideas?
> Thanks mucho in advance.  BTW, I know installfest will be a smash
> tonight, but I'll be at work, so hopefully next time I'll be there.

One problem I've had repeatedly with firefox is that it can be very
picky about DNS. Using Qwest DNS made firefox almost unusable, and same
for using the builtin DNS in the ActionTec dsl modem. Running a local,
caching-only name server made everything work perfectly.

When I was having the problem they were just like what you describe.
Ping and other network things were fine, and firefox was not.

Maybe this is your problem, maybe not.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/