Great for Grandmas who Like to nano xorg.conf

Craig Brooksby craig.brooksby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:17:28 MST 2007

Thanks for the comments -- one more thought.

I have my /home on a separate partition.  In doing the fresh install
of Gutsy (not an upgrade) I pointed the installer that that partition,
and was able to log in as my same username/password.

But in doing that, did I carry forward settings that clobbered /
overrode my fresh new copy?  I *did* notice that my desktop looked
like Feisty, not like Gutsy.

Final note:  after lamely poking at xorg.conf for a few hours, I just
did anclean reinstall.  This time I created a new user for myself.  So
far, screen resolution and desktop style is staying put.  And I did
make a fresh  backup copy of xorg.conf in case my screen resolution
goes south again.