couldn't get connected.....

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 07:54:03 MST 2007

I've ran into this issue in the past in spurts, but I've always
started troubleshooting from the cable modem back... and it's always
been the cable modem not sync'ing with the head-end on Cox's network.
If you notice the 'cable' light blinking, it's attempting to sync with
the head-end.  If it's doing that, you can cycle the computer and god
knows what else behind it and it isn't going to amount to anything.
Sometimes a cable modem power cycle helps it, which might be what you
ran into.
Another thing I noticed is that Cox doesn't seem to set their DHCP
expiry right, which means that someone else will be assigned your IP
after it expires in the DHCP allocation, but the
machine/router/access-point (whatevers getting an IP from Cox) still
tries using the old IP because it's been told that the expiry time is
some ridiculously far away date.  A cycle of the interface usually
fixes that... or a power cycle which is an overkill but it would do
the same thing.

So in a nutshell, the 3 steps are a sledgehammer fix... more of a
remedial "get me up and working so I can find out what's going on"
fix.

--Dan