kqemu issue

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:00:49 MST 2007

On 10/16/07, David Bendit <DarkElf109 at ibendit.com> wrote:
> Just a shot in the dark here, but did you try running qemu under
> sudo? Could be that kqemu requires root privileges to run. You should
> also check dmesg for any erroneous messages related to kqemu. I
> haven't worked with it in over a year, so these are just guesses, but
> they're worth a shot.
>
> -David Bendit

Bingo.  qemu runs without sudo but then kqemu will not run for it.  By
using sudo qemu ..., kqemu will then run successfully for qemu.

BTW, my other problem was that qemu runs with a default for the
virtual machine having only 128MB of memory.  Since the LiveCD .iso I
was asking it to boot from needs more memory than that, it was hanging
partway through the SLOW (without kqemu) emulation.

Then when I tried to tell qemu to pretend the virtual machine had
512MB I got this rather helpful response:

larry at ldesk:~$ sudo qemu -hda gutsy.img -m 512
You do not have enough space in '/dev/shm' for the 512 MB of QEMU virtual RAM.
To have more space available provided you have enough RAM and swap, do as root:
umount /dev/shm
mount -t tmpfs -o size=528m none /dev/shm
Or disable the accelerator module with -no-kqemu
larry at ldesk:~$ sudo umount /dev/shm
larry at ldesk:~$ sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=528m none /dev/shm
larry at ldesk:~$ sudo qemu -hda gutsy.img -m 512
larry at ldesk:~$

Anyway, still learning here.  Thanks for your help
--
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.