kqemu issue

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Tue Oct 16 07:32:56 MST 2007

Dazed_75 wrote:
> I have been trying to get kqemu working and Dennis gave me a pointer
> where to find some info.  But the problem I had looks kinda off so I
> am re-asking about it here>
>
> Just noticed something but I am not sure what to do about it.  See below
>
> On 10/15/07, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/13/07, Dennis Kibbe <dennisk at linuxquestions.net> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-qemu/
>>>
>>> Larry,
>>>
>>> Here's another good resource.
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>

>> Nice article.  I have kqemu in place but it still is not working for
>> some reason.
>>
>> larry at ldesk:~$ qemu-img create -f qcow gutsy.img 4G
>> Formating 'gutsy.img', fmt=qcow, size=4194304 kB
>> larry at ldesk:~$ qemu -hda gutsy.img -cdrom
>> ~/Desktop/ubuntu-7.10-rc-desktop-i386.iso  -boot d
>> Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated
>> larry at ldesk:~$ lsmod | grep emu
>> kqemu                 124580  0
>> larry at ldesk:~$ ll /dev/kq*
>> crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 61 2007-10-15 01:10 /dev/kqemu
>>

> See the 'c' attribute on the /dev/kqemu?  According to the chattr man
> page, that means it is a kernel compressed file and the Bugs and
> Limitations section of that same man page says it is not honored by
> the ext2 and ext3 filesystems (which this is on).  Any ideas?  I
> should probably re-ask this on the list.

Just for clarification as this doesn't help solve your kqemu issue, the
"c" attribute on that file does not meant that it's compressed. That
means that it's a character device and it's a means of communicating
directly with a kernel driver.

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net