fans and cooling

Josh Coffman joshcoffman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:21:02 MST 2007

There are already two holes on the inside of the desk, by my feet.
Probably need to make those bigger. And I was thinking of putting a
fan in the top one. Also, upgrade the front, back, and cpu fans. I'm
not sure that would be enough air flow.

Anyone seen a desktop inside an enclosure and how it was cooled? This
box has an AMD X2 and a nvidia 7600 so it can get warm.

On 10/16/07, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 09:55:11AM -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:
> > Anyone have suggestions on keeping a box cool that is inside of a desk
> > cabinet? I'm not opposed to modifying the desk as long as it's not an
> > ugly mod.
>
> You could make two decent sized holes, top and bottom, of the side/back
> panel of the desk. That would allow some airflow. You could also get a
> large case fan and mount it to the top hole, blowing out. Fan speed is
> usually controlled by voltage, so get a large fan and run it at low RPM
> so it's quiet.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation

Regards,
Josh