OT - Server spec's, need opinion.

Jason Hiller jason.hiller at oracle.com
Tue Oct 9 13:48:35 MST 2007

One way to approach this is to baseline your application on hardware that you already have. You can use a load generating program like Jmeter (http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/) to create load that would be similar to what you experience during your peak times. It is pretty easy to record a transaction while navigating the application in different ways, and then replay those transactions to create load. You can tweak the number of simulated issues, frequency of hits, wait time, etc...while running the transactions.

This method can take some of the guess work out of it and can help to guarantee that the platform will scale. It is also a great way to identify any bottlenecks (memory, io, etc).

Just be careful to ramp the load up to realistic levels...it can be easy to misinterpret the settings for Jmeter and create ridiculous levels of load, leading you to think that the system is under performing.

Jason Hiller
Oracle Corporation