Trouble with key based authentication

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Wed Oct 3 11:45:51 MST 2007

Ok, let us see if this make since.  I have three servers that back up
nightly to my remote back up site.  They all use SSH and authenticate
with RSA/DSA keys.  Two of the three servers are still connecting to the
back up machine just fine but the third suddenly fails.  How and why
should this happen?  I would rather understand why this has happened and
how to fix it instead of just setting it up again.  Besides, while I
remember was easy to set up the keys and get it authenticating, I have
long since forgot the details on how to actually do it ;-)

Any thoughts as to why it would fail?

[backupuser at redcent etc]# ssh -v remoteuser at remote.cornerstonehome.com

OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003

debug1: Applying options for *

debug1: Connecting to remote.cornerstonehome.com
[remote.cornerstonehome.com] port 22.

debug1: Connection established.

debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0

debug1: identity file /backupuser/.ssh/identity type 0

debug1: identity file /backupuser/.ssh/id_rsa type 1

debug1: identity file /backupuser/.ssh/id_dsa type 2

debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
OpenSSH_3.9p1

debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.9p1 pat OpenSSH*

debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.9p1

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received

debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none

debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent

debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP

debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent

debug1: Host 'remote.cornerstonehome.com' is known and matches the RSA
host key.

debug1: Found key in /backupuser/.ssh/known_hosts:4

debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent

debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS

debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received

debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent

debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password

debug1: Offering public key: /backupuser/.ssh/id_rsa

debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password

debug1: Offering public key: /backupuser/.ssh/id_dsa

debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password

debug1: Next authentication method: password

remoteuser at remote.cornerstonehome.com's password:

Bryan O'Neal
Cornerstone Homes & Development, Inc.
4220 E. McDowell Rd Ste. #108