ubuntu help

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 09:04:37 MST 2007

On 10/1/07, betty <nicepenguin at webcanine.com> wrote:

> I just put ubuntu on my office computer, got it to connect o.k. to the
> internet, BUT it doesn't recognize my outgoing or incoming email servers
> and for some reason, the firefox won't connect. although i can see on
> the ext. modem (and hear on the phone line) that it IS connected.
> any ideas ???

Matt and der.hans have good suggestions.  I would add that it does seem a
bit odd to be using dial-up from an office computer (though not unheard
of).  But based on other experiences, I can say that Linux in general does
not always handle having two separate paths to the internet very well.  Case
in point being a system having both a wired and a wireless connection even
via the same router.  you might want to try ifconfig to see if the system
believes it has two working interfaces to the net.

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being
either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
  - George F. Will