ubuntu help

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Oct 1 16:23:40 MST 2007

Am 01. Oct, 2007 schwätzte betty so:

> I just put ubuntu on my office computer, got it to connect o.k. to the
> internet, BUT it doesn't recognize my outgoing or incoming email servers

What do you mean that it doesn't recognize your email servers? What client
are you using to talk to them?

> and for some reason, the firefox won't connect. although i can see on
> the ext. modem (and hear on the phone line) that it IS connected.
> any ideas ???

Once you connect try a couple of things from the command line[0]

host PLUG.phoenix.az.us

If that works:

ping -c5 PLUG.phoenix.az.us

If the first doesn't work:

ping -c5 206.169.48.234

The same thing for traceroute, if the host command doesn't work use the
name, otherwise use the IP address. We should only need the traceroute
output if the ping doesn't work.

traceroute PLUG.phoenix.az.us

[0] There are also GUI clients, but I don't know what they are.

ciao,

der.hans
#  A Polish friend of mine got an offer for a free account from AOL. The
#  login ID was "HELLO" and the passwd "CYMBAL". She says "cymbal" is like
#  a Polish word for "sucker". 'Hello sucker', a greeting from AOHell :).