QT compiled size

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Thu Nov 29 12:45:15 MST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Dan Lund wrote:

> The Linux version uses Xlib style calls on the backend, and doesn't do
> anything window manager'ish.  It's just X, no dependence on anything
> other than X.

I'm totally confused. My understanding is that QT is a pretty high
level GUI library that indeed depends only on X in the Linux version.
If that's true it must do something window managerish i.e. it  must
contain all the functionality that is included in a GUI but  is not
included in a basic window server. On OS X it does  interface with a
window manager so it would need less functionality and hence be
smaller. What am I missing.

> What does Ruby & Python have to do with QT?

Ruby and Python don't  have built in GUIs ala Java. Programmers who
want to write portable GUI apps in these languages need to bind to a
GUI library. A typical Ruby installation will have bindings for QT,
Tcl/Tk and a few others.
--
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who
could not hear the music.