QT compiled size

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Thu Nov 29 09:35:15 MST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Nathan Aubrey wrote:

> Only 6.9 MB ? I think OS X is only using a very small section of
> anything QT.
> A few hundred megs I would expect, but not close to a gig. I'm just
> wondering
> if I missed a step somewhere to disable all debugging.
> I have not stripped any symbols either, as I'm generally leary of
> doing that.

Aha, you could very well be right. The OS X version runs atop Quartz
analogously to the way the Linux version runs atop X11. But if I
understand  correctly, the Linux version has a built  in window
manager while the OS X version is relying on the Quartz window
manager. So it's probably just a shim to assure that Ruby and Python
programs are portable.
--
Conscience is thoroughly well-bred and soon leaves off talking to
those who do not wish to hear it.