FC7->FC8 Upgrade via YUM

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Fri Nov 9 13:22:05 MST 2007

Just thought I would post that I successfully upgraded my FC7 to FC8 via
YUM, and it went pretty smoothly. I first manually downloaded the
fedora-release* packages from an FC8 repo mirror, and installed them via
"rpm -Uvh fedora*".  Then I did a "yum clean all" followed by "yum
upgrade". After downloading and installing 1.1GB of new packages, I am
now up and running FC8.

So far I have noticed that for some reason my main fonts have
changed...definitely larger point size. I checked my theme config and it
was set to "custom" for some reason. I set it to the "Fedora" theme and
it had no effect. I was previously using the nvidia drivers from the
livna repo (which seem to work better for dual head), so that could have
something to do with it. I no longer see the nvidia logo when X starts
up, so I think I'm no longer using it, but dual head still works fine.

Another thing I noticed is that I no longer have an issue with booting
while my Logitech Webcam is plugged in. With FC7 it would for some
reason set the webcam as my primary sound device (it has a mic
built-in), and so my normal sound would not work unless I booted with
the webcam unplugged. I could then plug it in later and all would work
fine.  This issue seems to be fixed now, not sure if new kernel did it,
or if its the new sound drivers.

-Charles