yum versus apt

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Fri Nov 9 11:48:31 MST 2007

Anyone want to talk about why they like yum versus apt or vice versa? :)

I like yum but I do have some gripes about it:

1. It would be nice if it would ping all of the mirrors and use the
fastest one (or if RH would use some BGP magic or something to route you
to the closest mirror (official mirrors anyhow)...then again they only
have one official mirror don't they?
2. Why is it an "undocumented feature" that you can hit ctrl-c to skip
to the next mirror (If a header or package download is going slow, you
can hit ctrl-c and it will jump to the next mirror in the list and
continue downloading)
3. It would be nice if yum showed which mirror it was downloading from,
or even the list (you grab the list by hitting for example,
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386)

P.S. I was just informed by a coworker that there is a yum plugin called
"yum-plugin-fastestmirror", which seems to address my #1 gripe above. I
found this info on it:
---snip---

Once the yum fastest mirror plugin is activated, whenever you perform
yum update or install, you will get a better connection. As yum will
search the mirror based on your IP thru the GeoIP system. Yum select the
fastest mirror based on:-

1. The connecting location of the client.
2. The current freshness/staleness of the mirrors for that region.

---snip---

I guess I should stop griping, and learn how to write yum plugins  :)