POS?

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Sun Nov 4 16:13:41 MST 2007

der.hans wrote:
> Am 04. Nov, 2007 schwätzte Charles Jones so:
>
> moin moin Charles,
>
>> Anyone know of any decent POS (Point of Sale) solutions that preferably
>> run on LAMP?  A friend is looking for something pretty simple that can
>> handle daily POS, inventory, and of course control a simple cash drawer.
>
> we've got at least one person supporting a GNU/Linux-based point of sale
> system.
Cool...I was hoping to find someone who was already using one that would
have some suggestions.
> Looks like BananaPOS hasn't been updated in a while.
Yeah, I avoided that one once I saw the lack of development activity.

> http://www.tinyerp.com/
>
> Claims to have PoS and is being maintained.
That one seems really great and has almost any feature one could
want...EXCEPT the POS module, which seems to be very newly developed and
not mature enough to actually use.  Their forums are full of posts of
people having problems with it, including apparently tiny not releasing
the source to it (strange since it's GPL).

> http://ck-erp.org/drupal/index.php
>
> That one has really obnoxious ad setup :(.
Oh man, you aren't kidding.  That's the first time I have seen
full-page/multi-page popup ads. Every page on their site is ad-laden as
well.  After 5 mins of trying to find some info I couldn't take it
anymore :)

> http://www.manaha.com/en/desarrollo_ntpv.html
>
> PoS for restaraunts that now does other stuff. Oooh, it has debs :).
That one seems pretty cool. It's mostly designed for restaurants as you
say, but I don't see why it couldn't be used for other retail sales. One
problem with it is that it seems to be developed in spanish, and all of
the docs are in spanish.

> It also suggests editing /etc/group rather than using {user,group}mod :(.
Heh just a (common) case of developers not being good sysadmins :)  They
only suggest that if you do the manual install, I think if you install
the debs it does it for you.

> Looks like a bunch more by searching for POS on FreshMeat. Savanna might
> have some listed as well.
I found many POS when I searched freshmeat and sourceforge...too many
really, which is why I want to find someone who is actually using one
and see what they suggest.
> In any case, please remind your friend to pay for support of anything
> business critical, such as a PoS system :).
Heh you know who the friend is...it's Christine. She is hoping to open a
retail store by Thanksgiving. She has an offer from someone for a cheap
manual cash register, but she would rather use a database-driven POS
system because she also does on-line sales, and it would be nice for
inventory reasons, etc.  I'm also going to try to setup an Asterisk
server for her, as well as a security system, so I will get some fun
projects out of helping her :)

-Charles