Where and how (and if) to install the Firefox "flash" plugin

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Sun May 20 21:41:26 MST 2007

Hi Joseph,

If you're using Ubuntu, just follow this HOW-TO:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flash

btw- Flash is hardly just for eye candy anymore.  Many UIs require it, and
it has become somewhat of a standard for internet video.  I find it to be
indispensable.

-jmz

On 5/19/07, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> .
> I have avoided putting "flash" on my system because of all
> the negatives I have heard and read about it.  And, while I
> think I would still prefer to try to avoid it as much as
> possible, since it is becoming so widely used, I am finding
> that there are many websites that are impossible to view
> without having to navigate through the flash nuisance.
>
> So, I wonder what the PLUG community view is on this?
>
> And where and how should I or can I install it to minimize
> any problems and security risks, etc. that it may impose?
>
> When I tried to install some media player type utilities,
> including the Firefox "flash" plugin today on my backup Linux
> system, I ran into several problems.
>
> First, I have no sound.  When I try to run Amarok, a window
> opens and I can see a little "equalizer" type graphic displaying
> some apparent sound, but I cannot hear any sound from the
> audio output jack (the green one).
>
> Second, when I tried to install the Firefox flash plugin from
> the following links, I am unable to get it done.
> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
> http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7
> http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Flash
>
> After getting to the point where I see the screen-capture image
> shown at this link:  http://upquick.com/temp/flashdown1.jpg
>
> I click on "Download the Flash Player .rpm for Linux" ... and
> I then see the screen-capture image shown at this next link:
>
> http://upquick.com/temp/flashdown2.jpg
>
> What is that all about?  How does one proceed from there?
>
> I also started to try the other download option: .tar.gz
> but I could not find any information on where (to what directory
> location to download that and where and how to install it.
>
> Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.