Where and how (and if) to install the Firefox "flash" plugin

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun May 20 09:16:58 MST 2007

I do not add many plugins to FF either in Linux or Windows.  I explicitly DO
NOT download/add ANY add-ons from links that pop up on web sites.  Basicly I
do not trust the average site to be honest or competent to add something to
my system.  If a site says I need a plug-in and does not tell me what that
plug-in is, that is an automatic disqualification for me.  If they do say
what is needed, I will go to a trusted source for it.  In addition to the
concern over getting malware/adware, I want to be sure the site recognizes
the version of browser and OS I am using to either offer only the right
versions or advise me how to do so.

On 5/20/07, Kenneth <madhse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
>
> > So, I wonder what the PLUG community view is on this?
>
> I would prefer not to need it, but I install it anyway.
>

> > Second, when I tried to install the Firefox flash plugin from
> > the following links, I am unable to get it done.
> > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
> > http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7
> > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Flash
> >
> > After getting to the point where I see the screen-capture image
> > shown at this link:  http://upquick.com/temp/flashdown1.jpg
> >
> > I click on "Download the Flash Player .rpm for Linux" ... and
> > I then see the screen-capture image shown at this next link:
> > http://upquick.com/temp/flashdown2.jpg
> >
> > What is that all about?  How does one proceed from there?
>
> I have never been able to install any firefox plugin by clicking on the
> things that come up and take you to links that are supposed to install for
> you.  I've never really tracked it down, as I prefer to download something
> myself so I know what I'm getting.
>

> > I also started to try the other download option: .tar.gz
> > but I could not find any information on where (to what directory
> > location to download that and where and how to install it.
>
> I couldn't tell you with that one specifically, but what I do is look at
> what
> files are in the archive, unpack them to a temporary directory, then do
> whatever is needed from there.  Run an installer or move files or
> whatever.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss