delete == delete

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Wed May 16 13:25:07 MST 2007

If I intend to have the drive move to a different use I will use boot
and nuke with a few passes of one method or another, reformat and load
the new OS.

If I intend to let the disk out of my supervision (sale/salvage) and
remain intact (for reuse), then I use boot and nuke also, usually a few
passes of one type and a few of another and then I reformat as something
wacky fs like NXT, or what ever I can get my hands on at the time.

If I intend for the drive to thrown away then I will do the same thing
and then take out the platters and give a platter to all the people who
really like shinny things ;)

I have this luxury because I usually don't have more then a few drives
at a time and I usually have a computer that goes with them, and I
usually don't have a dead line of less then a few hours to having it
wiped securely (a dozen passes of some boot and nuke methods can take
all night to finish).