FLAC -> MP3 -> CD in one shot?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Sat May 12 22:35:47 MST 2007

I am in the process of ripping all of my CDs into FLAC format to be a
bit future-proof.  My thinking is that if I need a song in a particular
format (AAC, OGG, MP3, etc), I can just convert from the (lossless) FLAC
copy when needed and just "throw it away" when I'm done.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to create an MP3-CD to play in
my car.  Specifically, I am trying to find an app or script that will do
the conversion from FLAC to MP3 and then burn the results to a CD-RW all
in one shot.

Offhand, I could probably whip something together by piping 'flac'
through stdout to 'lame' and then use mkisofs to create the iso which is
burned via cdrecord.  Seems simple enough.

BUT, I'd prefer that there is an already fully used and debugged version
out there.  And even more so, I'd prefer it to be a nice GUI-clicky app.
 Extra points for KDE but I'm toolkit agnostic when I find something
that actually works well.

For the record, I've checked out k3b (the best ripping and burning I've
ever used... bar none) and that does a great conversion job from the
ripping part AND a great burning job but it can't convert on the way to
burn.  Amarok has plugins that will convert songs from FLAC to MP3 and
can burn AudioCDs, but not apparently MP3-CDs.

Any ideas?  Or do I need to roll my own?

Kurt