Free anti-virus software for WinXp

vodhner at cox.net vodhner at cox.net
Sat May 12 22:24:24 MST 2007

We're using Avast on two machines, and it seems to be pretty good.  It updates frequently.  We (myself, wife, several kids) are very conservative users and have never been hit by a virus in 20 years of heavy computing, in spite of being without anti-virus software most of that time.  So I'm no expert on viruses.  But my wife did have an email intercepted by Avast that had a risky-looking attachment.

Core Force looks intriguing, thanks Josef.  I intend to try it as my security suite when I install XP in a virtual machine under Linux in the near future.  I note the web site specifies Win2k and XP but doesn't mention Vista.  My wife's new laptop runs Vista, and I will probably install Avast when our free Norton coverage wears out.

I had two bad experiences in past years with AVG.  Once it seemed to simply lock up the machine, and removing AVG cleared up the problem.  I went with no virus protection for some time after that, then tried AVG again.  This time it seemed OK for a while, but then suddenly it started declaring all applications to be infested!  I was able to fight my way down to the control panel and uninstall it, and all was well.  This was two or three years ago.

If I were to decide to pay for virus coverage, I think I'd go with F-Secure out of appreciation for their sounding the alarm on the Sony CD trojan while the other "establishment" anti-virus outfits were ignoring it.

About two years ago I got a free PC-Cillin subscription when I bought a new motherboard; it updated frequently and did claim to catch one virus.  After some months the free subscription ran out, and I went directly to Avast.

Vic