Thunderbird won't send -- partially solved

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Wed May 9 13:02:10 MST 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 12:49, Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> On Tue, 08 May 2007, KevinO wrote
>
> > Josef Lowder previously wrote:
> > > Just installed Thunderbird and am not able to send email.
> > > I can receive, but not send.
> >
> > Under Account Settings: scroll to the bottom and select
> > "Outgoing Server (SMTP). Fix your Outgoing Server Setting if needed.
>
> I previously responded asking "fix it to what?"
> The settings I had used were the same as those previously
> used on my wife's previous computer.  But then from another
> suggestion, I tried changing the port from the default 25 to
> port 587 but that also did not work.
>
> Then someone suggested changing the outgoing server from the
> server provided by my web host (CWH -- tlnf.com) to use the
> Qwest mail server:  pop.dnvr.qwest.net
>
> Tried that with both port 25 and port 587, neither of which worked.
>
> Then someone suggested going to the command line and typing:
> telnet tlnf.com 25 <E> or try: telnet tlnf.com 587 <E>
> After each trying to send again (first clearing any incoming mail).
>
> I did that and with port 25 it did not work, but after
> doing that with port 587, it finally did work.
>
> Cannot understand why, but at least it now works.

In general you should be using your ISP's outgoing mail server. More and more
ISPs are not allowing outgoing SMTP (port 25) connections outside of their
local network to stem the spam tide. So you have to use your ISP's SMTP
server in those cases.

I did a quick search and found that Qwest's incoming and outgoing mailservers
for the Phoenix area are pop.phnx.qwest.net. Why are you using Denver's? Are
you in Denver?

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage: http://the-hansons-az.net/