Thunderbird won't send -- partially solved

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Wed May 9 12:49:08 MST 2007

.
On Tue, 08 May 2007, KevinO wrote
> Josef Lowder previously wrote:
> > Just installed Thunderbird and am not able to send email.
> > I can receive, but not send.

> Under Account Settings: scroll to the bottom and select
> "Outgoing Server (SMTP). Fix your Outgoing Server Setting if needed.

I previously responded asking "fix it to what?"
The settings I had used were the same as those previously
used on my wife's previous computer.  But then from another
suggestion, I tried changing the port from the default 25 to
port 587 but that also did not work.

Then someone suggested changing the outgoing server from the
server provided by my web host (CWH -- tlnf.com) to use the
Qwest mail server:  pop.dnvr.qwest.net

Tried that with both port 25 and port 587, neither of which worked.

Then someone suggested going to the command line and typing:
telnet tlnf.com 25 <E> or try: telnet tlnf.com 587 <E>
After each trying to send again (first clearing any incoming mail).

I did that and with port 25 it did not work, but after
doing that with port 587, it finally did work.

Cannot understand why, but at least it now works.