store passwords for SSH logins?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed May 9 08:28:51 MST 2007

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Nathan Aubrey wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 May 2007, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > I frequently use ssh-agent to store passwords associated with SSH keys.
> >
> > But does anyone know of a tool or way to store passwords for SSH logins
> > without a key?
> >
> > I use a SSH server for frequent manual transactions and it is an
> > inconvenience for me to re-enter password every time. It is not an option
> > for me to setup an SSH key on the server (I don't control it).

> Maybe I'm missunderstanding, but don't you create your key on your
> workstation, not on the server? Then copy it to the .ssh/authorized_keys in
> the home directory of the user you log in as?

Sorry. I wasn't clear: I can not copy my key to authorized_keys. I don't
have write access (and I have no login shell). And it is not using public
key authentication.

> Or do you mean the initial keys that are created the very first time you
> run sshd on the server?

I can't run sshd there. It is not my server and I have no way to login or
execute any arbitrary command.

I may use expect.

But maybe ssh-agent can be patched to do what I want, since it already
stores information.

Or now I am finding other ideas... anyone know of a ssh client that uses
libgnome-keyring? Or do you know of any other "keyring" implementations?

I read that Apple Keychain can help with SSH accounts. And I found a patch
to use that. (I don't use Mac OS X here though, so this is just an idea
for me.) So I could probably implement my own keyring tool.

  Jeremy C. Reed