PLUG-discuss Digest, Vol 23, Issue 16

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 09:56:13 MST 2007

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 08:26:31 -0700
> From: Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
> Subject: Re: How to downgrade a package on debian etch?
> To: plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
> Cc: "der.hans" <PLUGd at lufthans.com>
>
> I have etch in my sources.list:
> deb http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing
> etch/security-updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing
> etch/security-updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>

> So, what am I missing?

You need to add sarge to your /etc/apt/sources.list so it can pull
packages from there. The file you need is not in the Etch Repositories
so you may want to try Sarge. Is that your whole sources.list file? It
does not seem right to me. Where is a line to pull your regular files
down. I don't see it.  Here is my sources.list.

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing  main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ testing main

You would change or add the line:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free

Do aptitude update && aptitude install FOO
Comment it out after you are done so you don't pull files from it in the future.

Do remember though that Debian went from XFree86 to Xorg between Sarge
and Etch so changing library files might cause problems.

Gregory