Public key somewhere? (Was: Re: Ubuntu Power Options)

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Mon May 7 06:01:46 MST 2007

Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On 5/6/07, *Alan Dayley* <alandd at consultpros.com
> <mailto:alandd at consultpros.com>> wrote:

>     Ray Cantwell wrote:
>     >
>     >> I am not responding to your original request for help.  Sorry.  I
>     >> do note, however, that you have signed your email.  As you can
>     see,
>     >> I sign most of my emails too.
>     >
>     >> I was not able to download your public key from the usual key
>     >> servers and confirm your signature.  Do you have your public key
>     >> posted somewhere?
>     >
>     >> Alan
>     >
>     > I am still learning to us PGP, just uploaded the key, hopefully it
>     > should work now.
>
>     Got it.  Good work.
>
>     Signing is good for the email world.  Thanks for taking it up.
>
>     Alan
>

>   Signing is definately good for the email world.  However, the
> majority of email clients are not configured to accept it.  This
> creates an effect that if a 'non-technical' person sees the PGP tags,
> they are likely to ignore the message ( scary PGP tags! :) ).  For
> instance in Gmail I see your PGP keys, and there is no good way to
> make them invisible.  I can certainly create a technical workaround,
> but %98 of people on the interweb can't even come close to figuring
> out how to do that.  I am the defacto 'PGP configgerer' amongst the
> people I work with, and I can tell you it's no easy job (I recommend
> TBird+Enigmail).  PGP is not likely to be supported widely as
> encrypted email via PGP is the bane of marketing departments
> worldwide.  Google responded with quiet aversion when people first
> started using PGP on Gmail.
>
>   -jmz
>

> --
> .0000. communication.
> .0001. development.
> .0010. strategy.
> .0100. appeal.
>
> JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
> IT Consultant
>
> ( 602 ) 490 8006
> jjzeidner at gmail.com <mailto:jjzeidner at gmail.com>
I think Google doesn't like people encrypting their e-mail on GMail
because that whole business model relies on them being able to give you
advertising off of keywords in your e-mail. Obviously if it's encrypted
they can't do that and you're breaking their business model. Is
encryption banned in their Terms of Service for GMail? I signed up for
an account there a long time ago but never really used it as I run my
own e-mail server.

I sign all of my e-mails as well and my non-technical friends and family
never have any problems with it. They probably just mostly ignore the
extra attachment. That's probably the difference: My method of signing
produces an attachment instead of it being in-line. That might be a
little less "scary" for the non GPG-aware.

Does this group ever do any key signing parties?

--
Jon M. Hanson (N7ZVJ)
Homepage:  http://the-hansons-az.net
Jabber IM: jon at the-hansons-az.net