Public key somewhere? (Was: Re: Ubuntu Power Options)

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Mon May 7 04:08:41 MST 2007

On 5/6/07, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:

> Ray Cantwell wrote:
> >
> >> I am not responding to your original request for help.  Sorry.  I
> >> do note, however, that you have signed your email.  As you can see,
> >> I sign most of my emails too.
> >
> >> I was not able to download your public key from the usual key
> >> servers and confirm your signature.  Do you have your public key
> >> posted somewhere?
> >
> >> Alan
> >
> > I am still learning to us PGP, just uploaded the key, hopefully it
> > should work now.
>
> Got it.  Good work.
>
> Signing is good for the email world.  Thanks for taking it up.
>
> Alan

  Signing is definately good for the email world.  However, the majority of
email clients are not configured to accept it.  This creates an effect that
if a 'non-technical' person sees the PGP tags, they are likely to ignore the
message ( scary PGP tags! :) ).  For instance in Gmail I see your PGP keys,
and there is no good way to make them invisible.  I can certainly create a
technical workaround, but %98 of people on the interweb can't even come
close to figuring out how to do that.  I am the defacto 'PGP configgerer'
amongst the people I work with, and I can tell you it's no easy job (I
recommend TBird+Enigmail).  PGP is not likely to be supported widely as
encrypted email via PGP is the bane of marketing departments worldwide.
Google responded with quiet aversion when people first started using PGP on
Gmail.

  -jmz

--
.0000. communication.