Screen Resolution

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 12:58:04 MST 2007

--- Boyd Tong <jboydt770 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need help resolving a screen resolution problem. I have Ubuntu 7.04
> loaded
> on a Dell Dimension L700cx system. It is a single boot. I am using a
> Princeton VL1918 monitor. The only screen resolution available is 640 X
> 480.

Do you mean that's all the monitor knows, or that's the only thing you can
get X to use?

> 2.         Generic video card                                       OK

It doesn't appear to know what your graphics controller is.  This likely
causes the X server to select only a small set of standard resolutions to
allow.

> 28.       19-20 inches              OK

Is the monitor that large?

> On startup when I type my name the characters are so small they are not
> readable. I have only one resolution choice, 640 X480 and 73 Hz.  When I
> try
> to enter a new contact in the Thunderbird contact window the window is so
> large I cannot get down to the OK button.

The size problems sound like an issue with virtual desktop size (this may not
be the proper terminology, I don't remember any more).  It will probably be
fine once you get the graphics card detected and a higher resolution set.

I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu setup program, but if it allows you to
select a graphics controller, try that.

Have you checked the xorg log?  On my non-ubuntu system it's
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, I assume it would be in the same place.

If you start with a prompt rather than graphical login, you can type
X -configure
and the server will try to detect your hardware and create a basic config
file for you.

If these suggestions don't get you going, maybe post the output of lspci, and
your xorg.conf file, which I think usuall resides in /etc/X11.